Wednesday, March 23, 2011

First Sickness = No Fun!

I'm on Spring Break and trying to play catch up. Maybe one of these days, I'll post things when they actually happen....
I need to learn to keep my mouth shut! I had said on Monday that "knock on wood, Audrey had been very healthy." Of course, my fellow teachers told me that I had just cursed myself. Low and behold, Audrey's junky nose started effecting her sleep Tuesday night. I decided to stay home and call the doctor because she had a low grade fever and had developed a cough. Doctor ordered breathing treatments ( I know way too much about these with my own health) and a chest xray.
Daddy showed up at the hospital as soon as I text him with the news. I thought, man, she's already a Daddy's girl. He claimed he didn't want me to have to go through that by myself. Dr. Larson warned me that chest xrays are no fun, but I really didn't know what I was in for. I should have let Dad take her in, but I hate hearing her cry and not be able to soothe her. The contraption looked like a medieval torture chamber! She had to sit on this bicycle seat with her arms stretched above her while they closed a clear plastic tube around her. Audrey screamed! Luckily the chest xray came back clear so it was a week of breathing treatments every four hours.
These nebulizers have come a long way since I was a baby! We still have mine and it is about 20 times bigger than Audrey's! Plus, it has a car adapter! Grandma Deb was a little jealous of that remembering all the times we had to stop for Uncle Ryan or my treatments when traveling.

Daddy took her back to the doctor a week later. We really felt that she was starting to feel better. It had been a rough week! Audrey HATED mommy because I was constantly wiping her nose and she was coughing and spitting up after the breathing treatments started loosening everything. We had her sleeping in her carseat, which helped keep her upright, until she was houdini and somehow got out of it and ended up face down on the floor perpendicular to the seat! Mommy freaked and ran to pick her up! I got the biggest grin from her! Needless to say, we are no longer using the swaddler (we have graduated to a sleep sack with arms pinned shut) and we went back to sleeping in the crib immediately!

Here she is the day before her follow up with the doctor. Does she look sick?

Audrey ended up having an ear infection at this appointment! Ugh! So we were to continue the breathing treatments, add an antibiotic, and come back in two weeks.

Audrey and I just got home from her follow-up! This girl is all better and now weighs 17# 4oz!!!

No comments: